Vintage Computing and Gaming Forum
August 01, 2014, 11:27:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderline BBS - DIAL-UP!!!  (Read 18123 times)
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« on: March 05, 2008, 01:16:22 AM »

Due to some recent interest in having a Commodore-run dial-up BBS for people to call, I've decided to put up Borderline BBS, running on Color 64 v7.37!

This BBS operates 24 hours a day, starting NOW!  It operates at 300/1200/2400 baud, and features 40/80 column operation, ASCII/ANSI/PETSCII support, message bases, file transfers, and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!).

So dust off your old Commodore modems and give Borderline BBS a call at (951)242-3593.  For international callers, the country code is 1.  Smiley

Oh... And before anyone asks... Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II *are* still online, accessable via Telnet.  So yeah, I'm running 3 BBS's simultaneously now on *real* Commodore hardware...  *Someday* I'll sleep.  Wink

-Andrew

Cottonwood BBS
cottonwood.servebbs.com:23

Cottonwood II
cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400

Borderline BBS
(951)242-3593

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Oh... And before anyone asks... Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II *are* still online, accessable via Telnet.  So yeah, I'm running 3 BBS's simultaneously now on *real* Commodore hardware...  *Someday* I'll sleep.  Wink

That sounds like a lot of maintenance.  Have you had any hardware failure yet?

That's great about the dial-up BBS, by the way.

Editor in Chief
Vintage Computing and Gaming
http://www.vintagecomputing.com
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »

That sounds like a lot of maintenance.  Have you had any hardware failure yet?

Actually, the Commodore hardware is pretty solid.  The only problem I've had so far is there was one chip in the C128 that Cottonwood BBS runs on that I had to replace a couple months back.  I've got a decent supply of spare parts for these things, so replacing it was no problem.  Other than that, these things have been running like champs.  Smiley

That's great about the dial-up BBS, by the way.

If you'd like me to set up an account for you ahead of time so that you can avoid the application process and have full access right away on your first call, just send me an e-mail at wiskow@gmail.com and let me know your handle, real name, password, and phone number.  Once I have your account set up, I'll send you an e-mail back letting you know what your new ID# is.  Or, you can always just call and sign up as a new user, fill out an application, and I'll validate your account within 24 hours.  Smiley

-Andrew

wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:35:12 AM »

I came up with a PETSCII art ad for Borderline BBS, designed using Kaleidoscope on my C64.  This is actually an edited version of the last "frame" of the animated intro graphic that you'll see if you call...  Anyway, here's the ad for your viewing pleasure:  Wink

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:57:11 PM by wiskow » Logged

t3hfr3ak
Champion Hack

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »

errr... do we have to use dial up to connect to it?

wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:40 AM »

errr... do we have to use dial up to connect to it?

Yes...  That's the whole point since there aren't any other Commodore-run dial-up BBS's left ANYWHERE.  If you want to connect to a Commodore-run BBS that's Telnet-accessable, there are several to choose from.  You can find a current list of them at http://cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com

-Andrew
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:27:00 AM by wiskow » Logged

t3hfr3ak
Champion Hack

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

how do i go about connecting to your dial up ones

wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »

how do i go about connecting to your dial up ones

To connect to a dial-up BBS, you need a computer with a modem, a terminal program that supports modem telecommunications, and a standard phone line.  While I have heard that people have successfully used a cell phone to call dial-up BBS's, I know for a fact that a VoIP line (like Vonage) will not work.  VoIP lines won't work due to an issue with that way data is transmitted on those lines.

Of course, the BEST setup to call a Commodore-run BBS is with real Commodore hardware.  A Commodore 64 with CCGMS, TouchTerm, or NovaTerm, or a Commodore 128 with DesTerm or MultiTerm128 is recommended.  You can, however, use a Windows PC with Hyperterminal to call in, but it'll be ASCII-only.

If you need any more help, just let me know...

-Andrew

t3hfr3ak
Champion Hack

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »

crap... i got VoIP... not vonage... but my local ISP offered it with the net... cable

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »

I came up with a PETSCII art ad for Borderline BBS, designed using Kaleidoscope on my C64.  This is actually an edited version of the last "frame" of the animated intro graphic that you'll see if you call...  Anyway, here's the ad for your viewing pleasure:  Wink

That's an awesome piece of artwork.  Great job!

This may be a stupid question, but I've forgotten already.  Isn't there a C64 terminal that runs on the PC (well, I know there is, 'cause I've used it when you mentioned it before) -- CGTERM or something like that?  Anyway, does that program support dial-up connections?  I seem to have misplaced it.

And I have had limited success with calling Dial-up BBSes over Vonage, as you can read here:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/161

Although the connection was a little slow and laggy.  I was still excited that it worked, because I didn't have to pay long distance charges.

Thanks,
Benj

Editor in Chief
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »

That's an awesome piece of artwork.  Great job!

Thanks!  Smiley

This may be a stupid question, but I've forgotten already.  Isn't there a C64 terminal that runs on the PC (well, I know there is, 'cause I've used it when you mentioned it before) -- CGTERM or something like that?  Anyway, does that program support dial-up connections?  I seem to have misplaced it.

CGTERM by Per Olofsson is an excellent Commodore Graphic terminal emulator which runs in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.  You can download it at http://www.paradroid.net/cgterm/.  Unfortunately, it's a Telnet-only program, so it can't be used for dial-up connections.

However, Greg Pfountz, the author of the software that I'm running on my dial-up board, also wrote a terminal program for MS-DOS in 1991 called the C64 Color Terminal Emulator.  Unfortunately, not all modems are supported with this program. External modems work best; most "WinModems" will not work. You can download this program at http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org/C64TRM5B.EXE ... Some have had success running this from a DOS window from within Windows. The best thing is to just try it out and see if you can get it to work.  Be sure you know what COM port your modem is running on, and set the config for the terminal to use the same port.  If all else fails, just call using any ASCII-capable terminal program.

And I have had limited success with calling Dial-up BBSes over Vonage, as you can read here:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/161

Although the connection was a little slow and laggy.  I was still excited that it worked, because I didn't have to pay long distance charges.

Well, if you've had ANY success, then you've had more success than I have had.  A couple people tried calling into Borderline BBS using a VoIP line, and they said they couldn't even get through.  I'd be interested to know if you have more luck.  Smiley

-Andrew
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:00:27 PM by wiskow » Logged

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »

However, Greg Pfountz, the author of the software that I'm running on my dial-up board, also wrote a terminal program for MS-DOS in 1991 called the C64 Color Terminal Emulator.  Unfortunately, not all modems are supported with this program. External modems work best; most "WinModems" will not work. You can download this program at http://cottonwood.servebbs.com/C64TRM5B.EXE ... Some have had success running this from a DOS window from within Windows. The best thing is to just try it out and see if you can get it to work.  Be sure you know what COM port your modem is running on, and set the config for the terminal to use the same port.  If all else fails, just call using any ASCII-capable terminal program.

Well, you know me -- I've got more than enough vintage PC hardware to get the job done, including some nice external modems, so perhaps I'll give that software a try on one of my 386's next week and give your BBS a call through Vonage.  We'll see what happens.

Editor in Chief
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »

Well, you know me -- I've got more than enough vintage PC hardware to get the job done, including some nice external modems, so perhaps I'll give that software a try on one of my 386's next week and give your BBS a call through Vonage.  We'll see what happens.

I did some testing last night with the C64 Color Terminal Emulator.  I ran it in a DOS window from within Windows, and I also ran it from plain ol' MS-DOS 6.22.  With both, I used an external Hayes Smartmodem Optima 9600, which I manually set for 2400 baud.  In MS-DOS, it worked without a problem.  What I discovered, however, was that while I was able to set it up and use it in a DOS window from within Windows, the program doesn't display the Commodore graphic charachters correctly in Windows.  In DOS, these same charachters are displayed just fine.  The colors and plain text display without a problem, but the graphics get garbled inside of Windows.

-Andrew

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »

I did some testing last night with the C64 Color Terminal Emulator.  I ran it in a DOS window from within Windows, and I also ran it from plain ol' MS-DOS 6.22.  With both, I used an external Hayes Smartmodem Optima 9600, which I manually set for 2400 baud.  In MS-DOS, it worked without a problem.  What I discovered, however, was that while I was able to set it up and use it in a DOS window from within Windows, the program doesn't display the Commodore graphic charachters correctly in Windows.  In DOS, these same charachters are displayed just fine.  The colors and plain text display without a problem, but the graphics get garbled inside of Windows.

That's weird about the Windows thing.  I was about to suggest an ANSI.SYS problem (i.e. it not being loaded in Windows), but the characters you're talking about aren't ANSI (or extended ASCII) chars, are they?  If they're the C64 graphics chars, then I'm not sure how the program displays them to begin with -- I still haven't run the C64 Color Terminal Emulator.

I hope to check it out soon.  But my plate is pretty full with messing with other computers too. Smiley

Editor in Chief
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

I just wanted to post a quick reminder to everyone that Borderline BBS is still up and running 24/7.  It's still the only Commodore-run dial-up BBS anywhere.  So dust off your old modems and check it out!  Blazing along at speeds up to 2400 baud!  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: