Vintage Computing and Gaming Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICE BBS released  (Read 6966 times)
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« on: March 12, 2008, 01:15:29 AM »

Eric Green, one of the co-authors of ICE BBS, has licensed ICE BBS v1.1 under the GNU General Public License (GPL). This is effectively the same as releasing it to the Public Domain; it just means that you can't put your own copyright on it, basically. I scanned in all 222 pages of the original printed manual. Now, the manual and d64 disk images of both sides of the original disk are available for download here.

ICE BBS is an ASCII-only BBS program, inspired by an early version of C-Net, and it's what Cottonwood II is currently running on.  I feel that it's a very well-written program, and deserved preservation.  Enjoy.  Smiley

-Andrew

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »

Eric Green, one of the co-authors of ICE BBS, has licensed ICE BBS v1.1 under the GNU General Public License (GPL). This is effectively the same as releasing it to the Public Domain; it just means that you can't put your own copyright on it, basically. I scanned in all 222 pages of the original printed manual. Now, the manual and d64 disk images of both sides of the original disk are available for download here.

ICE BBS is an ASCII-only BBS program, inspired by an early version of C-Net, and it's what Cottonwood II is currently running on.  I feel that it's a very well-written program, and deserved preservation.  Enjoy.  Smiley

-Andrew

I know I mentioned this before, but you should send this to Jason Scott (if you haven't already).  He'll snatch it up and make sure it's preserved for all time in his lead-lined technovaults.  Or whatever he has.

Editor in Chief
Vintage Computing and Gaming
http://www.vintagecomputing.com
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »

I know I mentioned this before, but you should send this to Jason Scott (if you haven't already).  He'll snatch it up and make sure it's preserved for all time in his lead-lined technovaults.  Or whatever he has.

Thanks for the reminder (I had forgotten)...  I just sent Jason an e-mail.  Smiley

BTW - I made a typo...  The manual that I scanned in was 122 pages long, not 222...

-Andrew

RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »

BTW - I made a typo...  The manual that I scanned in was 122 pages long, not 222...

Lies!  All dirty lies!  You led us on with your promise of 100 more pages!

Hehe.. just kidding, of course.

Calling your ICE BBS is still on my to-do list.

Editor in Chief
Vintage Computing and Gaming
http://www.vintagecomputing.com
wiskow
Regular Tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

I would like to scrapbook about me.

I detect a spammer.  Undecided

sirpaul484
Seasoned Experimenter

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »

Yep... It seems like there has been a fairly large influx of them, with the posts not being removed either.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: