Vintage Computing and Gaming Forum
October 23, 2014, 04:13:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't be afraid to reply to old topics.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: NES Restoration.  (Read 23077 times)
RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "MegaKitsune"
Quote from: "extrarice"
Quote from: "MegaKitsune"
VCR style NES, and no video (black screen) on any connector...

Hmm, doesn't sound good. Have you tried all the tricks of moving the cart while it's in the NES? i.e. sliding it to one side or the other, or re-seating it so the cart is inside the NES JUST ENOUGH to clear the door when you press it down?

(flashes back to my days of ISP tech support and asks the obvious question)
Is the TV turned on?

TV's on, I did everything you said, and it still doesn't work... Ehhh...

I'm going to rip out the 2A03, attach it to some sort of NES-on-a-Chip clone, embed MIDINES into it, and have a self-contained NES synth...

Does the power light come on at all, or blink?  If not, then it could be a bad AC adapter.

RedWolf

Editor in Chief
Vintage Computing and Gaming
http://www.vintagecomputing.com
Konata
Annoyance
Grandmaster Hack

Good job!

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »

The power light blinks...

\\\"It might not be that fast, but how fast can you type?\\\" <br /><br />- Jim Willing, on old computers becoming obsolete
Xerone
Seasoned Experimenter

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »

Well, I got the NES from my friend to start working. Followed a tut on bending the pins in the pin connector back. Took a bit of work (Wasn't completely sure what I was doing...) but I am EXTREMELY happy!!!1!1

Now I just need to get mine working. But I am so glad I can now play my NES games... gotta start collectin' them all now!

url=http://www.vintagecomputing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=655#655]Xerone's VG B/S/T[/url] - last updated [size=16]5-30-06[/size]
BlindRose
Novice Tinkerer

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 12:37:45 AM »

Really that doesn't complete good. Have you approved all the tricks of affective the barrow while it's in the NES? i.e. sliding it to one ancillary or the other, or re-seating it so the barrow is central the NES JUST ENOUGH to bright the aperture if you columnist it down?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:05:41 PM by RedWolf » Logged
RedWolf
Administrator
Woz's Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »

Really that doesn't complete good. Have you approved all the tricks of affective the barrow while it's in the NES? i.e. sliding it to one ancillary or the other, or re-seating it so the barrow is central the NES JUST ENOUGH to bright the aperture if you columnist it down?

Wow.  That's some amazing spam.  It's like they took someone else's post and vomited a thesaurus all over it.

Editor in Chief
Vintage Computing and Gaming
http://www.vintagecomputing.com
sirpaul484
Seasoned Experimenter

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »

My brain just broke reading that...
RockinKat
Casual Tinkerer

Rockin' Kat

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 04:45:10 AM »

A little late to the punch here, but still...

WD40... ugh... that will just lead to nasty funky gunky mess of goo, hair and dirt all over your cart port and cartridges.

First try Alcohol... you can soak a junk t-shirt with it, then stretch it tight over a butter knife and shove in and out(no side to side) and be careful not to snag any of the pins so you don't pull them out.

Then there's also Deoxit.. a bit more expensive But from my experience it works really well and I generally go straight for it instead of bothering with alcohol if I have some handy.

Then as previously suggested:

After that comes bending pins with something like a dentist pick.

And then just getting a replacement cart port... which is what I ended up doing with my NES after the alcohol failed.. back when I didn't even know deoxit existed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:48:25 AM by RockinKat » Logged

-Rockin' Kat
"If I ever had a mind, it probably got lost in the mail."
orsty3001
Seasoned Experimenter

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »

I use Nu-trol Control Cleaner.

I agree that WD-40 would create a mess. It will just make it sticky and attract dirt.

I used to dilute MEK and use it on old Ham Radios back when I was into that stuff. MEK is so strong though, if you aren't careful with it you'll have a blank circuit board.

Something like that Deoxit would be great for cleaning contacts.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: